Last update: 07:10 | 09/02/2018
Vietnam has 1,200 professors/associate professors more
1. For the first time in 41 years, in 2017, someone aged 35 received the professor title. Pham Hoang Hiep, a mathematician from the Mathematics Institute, and a member of the Vietnam Academy of Science & Technology, began working for the Hanoi National University of Education at the age of 29.
Hiep is well known among scientists as the first mathematician who had scientific articles published in Acta Mathematica, the highest ranking magazine in terms of influence index and five-year cited index among 302 theoretical mathematics journals in the ISI database.
|Professors Pham Hoang Hiep, Phan Thanh Son Nam, Phan Dieu Quang, Tran Dinh Thang and Phung Ho Hai all received the title of professor at a young age. |
Hiep is also the winner of the Ta Quang Buu Award which honors young scientists and one of 72 young scientists honoured by the Ministry of Science & Technology for great contributions to the country.
2. Phan Thanh Son Nam received the professor title at the age of 37. Born in 1977, Nam was Dean of Chemical Engineering Faculty under the University of Technology, a member school of the HCMC National University, when he received the title in 2014.
Son graduated from the University of Technology in 1999 and successfully defended his doctoral dissertation in organic chemistry at the University of Sheffield in 2004. After that, he completed his postdoctoral fellowship at the Georgia Institute of Technology in 2006. Since then, Nam has worked as a lecturer at the HCMC University of Technology.
3. In 2011, when Nguyen Quang Dieu became professor, he was 37 years old.
Born in 1974, Dieu now works at the Mathematics & Information Technology Faculty of the Hanoi University of Education.
He became associate professor in 2007 when he was 33 years old. Dieu defended his doctoral dissertation at Toulouse University 3.
4. Tran Dinh Thang, a chemistry lecturer and researcher at Vinh University in Nghe An province, became professor in 2016, when he was 41 years old.
5. Born in 1970, Phung Ho Hai was the first scientist granted the professor title in 2012, when he was 42 years old. The award was an important event of the year.
Hai received the Baedeker Prize for the best doctoral thesis in Germany in 2005, the DFG Germany Von Kaven Award 2006, and the Heisenberg Scholarship in 2005-2010. He was elected by TWAS (the World Academy of Sciences) representing East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Pacific in 2009-2013.